Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness & Response
UPDATED: April 29, 2020
The spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) both in the United States and abroad has many of us deeply concerned. Please know Stone Rehab is taking appropriate measures to protect the health and well-being of patients, teammates, and their families as this is our number one priority.
Our community is blessed to have no cases of COVID-19, and our goal is to keep it that way.
We can attribute much of this to our COVID-19 Task Force, which meets daily to review our current state and plan for the future. The task force adjusts our policies and protocols to leading information and the latest best practices from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), and the Virginia Department of Health. This ensures we are educated and prepared.
We also credit the health of our campus to everyone adhering to the COVID-19 preventive measures we have put in place. We know these policies and procedures are not always easy and can restrict daily life and work activities, but they have proven to be effective.
For COVID-19, we have implemented the following critical measures specific to this virus. These measures include:
- Our team members are now issued surgical masks upon entry to The Hoy Center and Stone Rehab as a precautionary measure to protect others. Our Medical Director recommended this step early on to enhance the protection of physical distancing. It is now required by the CDC and CMS guidelines.
- In Stone Rehab and The Hoy Center, we continue to follow the requirement to limit visits to only essential medical personnel. No visits are allowed by family members. We are permitting end-of-life patients to receive family members in accordance with their end-of-life wishes utilizing all required personal protective equipment and after a visitor’s health screening has been completed.
- All essential team members are being screened and asked a set of questions including if they are having symptoms of COVID-19, if they have been out of the state of Virginia, or if the person has been in a high-risk area such as a hospital, ER, or another healthcare facility within the past 14 days. If anyone answers yes to these questions, they are not allowed inside our campus. Team members who work at other healthcare facilities are also not allowed on campus.
- We strongly encourage team members and residents to follow CDC recommended practices which are proven to prevent the spread of COVID-19, such as social distancing, washing your hands with soap and water, covering your cough, staying at home, avoiding close contact with others, and carefully wiping down desks, computers, tables, door handles, etc., with disinfectant cleaners.
- Family members are able to drop off items to their loved ones staying in Stone Rehab at the Welcome Gate at the front of campus during specific delegated times.
- Open communication is crucial. We will continue to provide regular updates about our community’s status on Stone Rehab’s website. This is in addition to the direct communications we have with our patients, their families, and our team members.
At Stone Rehab, we know how important it is to stay connected to loved ones, especially in this challenging time. One way of making sure our patients are staying connected is with the Birdsong Tablet. Stone Rehab has Birdsong Tablets in each and every private room. Our tablets are set up with Skype to ensure easy communication with a family member, friend, or neighbor! The Birdsong Tablet is also great for listening to music, watching TV shows, playing strategy games, and more.
Another way to feel connected and included with family and friends is to receive mail! The Stone Rehab team has set up an email address where you, your friends, or your children can send happy mail to our residents and patients in Stone Rehab and The Hoy Center! Please consider drawing a picture, writing a letter, or sending a silly photo of yourself or a family pet to this email address: [email protected]
We want to assure you that providing a safe and healthy environment for patients and team members is a top priority at Stone Rehab. We are dedicated to their well-being.
Thank you for your confidence and support.